Friday, August 22, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay Update

Ok so I think the worst is behind us now. My street is finally draining and I was able to leave my house this morning to head to work. I did run into some roads that were still fooded, however, and had to drive super slow to make it through (water was covering my tires). This is when I'm happy to have a Jeep!

I've been stuck in my house since Tues afternoon. My area got about 30 inches of rain! There was several feet of water that flooded all streets around me as well as my own. Canals have been overflowing and there are some alligators, snakes and other animals that have been displaced due to the storm... hope I don't find any snakes in my yard (or alligator's in the street)! My brother-in-law tryed to rescue a mole that was working hard to survive in their flooded street. He was gone by the time he went back out with a bowl - what was he going to do with a bowl?! I would not want to tangle with a drowing mole!

It's estimated that Melbourne received $12M in damage. Crazy. Kris and Christina tried to make it back to my house Wed and weren't able to get through due to the flooding. Kris was finally able to make it back last night - I'm sure he was happy to have his first change of clothes since Tues.. Oooo - stinky stinky! taa-haa!

So I'm having to work a full day today to make up some hours from not being at work these last couple of days... bleh! My work schedule is also about to change from 4 hour Fridays to every other Friday off, which means I will be working full Friday's every other week - it will be difficult to make the adjustment - I really enjoy only working 4 hours on Friday's.

So since I have bought my house and moved in this past January, I have been through the Palm Bay wildfires and Tropical Storm Fay. I'm so happy to have survived, but I sure hope Mother Nature will give me a break for a while! At least I mowed my lawn last Saturday... because I'm sure it will be quite soggy for a while!!!

No comments: