Monday, February 2, 2009

Guess Who Came to Church?!

So I'm sitting at church Sunday morning and the Bishop is making some announcements. He says that there is going to be a special Youth Fireside at the Stake Center that evening and there would be a very special guest... American Idol's David Archuleta! Wow! That was pretty cool... then he mentioned that it was really geared for the Youth so let's not everyone go... didn't want there to be a mob at the Stake Center.

Hmmmmm..... of course my sister was JUST called into YW that day.... hmmmm..... well, I had worked with the YW for quite a while in my last two wards so I figured I could go too! Actually, we found out later that some Bishop's had invited the whole ward to go so I didn't feel bad. :)



What an amazing young man. When the time was turned over to him, he proceeded to tell us that he wasn't a good speaker and hadn't really prepared anything since it had been last minute. He warned us that he would likely ramble (and he did!) and that he didn't make much sense when he talked to people but I found him to be quite charming!

He started the evening by singing hymn #124 Be Still My Soul. I cried. I cried. I cried. His voice is a gift sent straight from Heavenly Father and the arrangement of that song and his singing was amazing. What was even more amazing is that you could feel that he truly felt every word he sang. I think that particular hymn just really touched my heart because my soul is restless and has been for some time. This hymn speaks to trusting in the Lord to be forever on our side and healing our hurts. It is one of my favorites and I know that I needed to hear him sing that song last night.

Be Still My Soul

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Earlier in the evening cards were passed out for us to write down questions we would like for David to answer. Someone asked him what his favorite color was. His answer was just too cute... he said, "uhhh.... ummmm... I don't know... I guess orange, yellow and green because they're the colors of citrus and I love oranges, lemons and limes" - how adorable is that?!

I was originally going to ask him what his favorite scripture was but my sister beat me to it! He shared with us that one of his favorites that he likes to re-read when he's feeling down or sad is D&C 68:6 (this also happens to be one of my top five scriptures). He said it reminds him that the Lord "has his back".

"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."

My question was "what was the most spiritual moment you've had since being on the show or while on the show?" He answered that the finale was a spiritual moment for him because it was a positive accumulation of all the work he had put into his singing and an affirmation that this is what he was here to do; to share his talent with those who will listen in the hopes of touching their lives for the better.

I was very impressed by this young man who not only has an amazing voice but a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation. There was no doubt as to the conviction of his testimony that he shared with us. What a great example for the youth. He is every bit as adorable as he appears to be on tv. There is always a smile on his face and you can't help but want to squeeze him in a big hug or pinch his cheeks!

He closed by singing hymn #136 I Know That My Redeemer Lives. This is such a powerful song and always brings me back to my mission. It was an oft requested song by others for us as missionaries to sing. I remember one time visiting with an elderly woman who had not much time left on earth and she asked my companion and I to sing this song to her. I get choked up at just the thought. The Lord was surely with us because I don't know HOW I got through that song without crying. The spirit was so strong and the entire family was in tears.

To hear David sing that song touched my heart and memories of a special time in my life. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have served a full time mission.

After the Fireside, there was a meet and greet and I was able to shake his hand, give him a hug and tell him that I thought his heart and spirit was just as beautiful as his voice. I got a picture too! It was a great evening! It was so cute to see the YW with pictures of him to sign! This kid has beautiful gold (yes golden) eyes... a really cute kid who's gonna make a super duper handsome man! Watch out ladies! No older brothers tho... bummer... :)

I know that God lives. I know that Christ lives. I know that I am a child of God. My testimony of the living Christ has nevered wavered. He lived for me, he died for me... so that I may truly live.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Fun!! Hey, I added you to my list too. Thanks!

The Less Extreme Couponer said...

Hey Jill! Glad you visited my blog. I am gonna add you to my buddies as well. I had fun reading your posts too! :)

Cynthia said...

Jill - I love that song "Be Still My Soul" too and I am glad you served a mission too. Wasn't it fun! Maybe not every second of it, but as a whole, it was fabulous!

Jones said...

his eyes are golden eh? could he be related to the 'Cullen' clan?? hmmmmm..... ;)